Saturday, November 27, 2010

Step Up ...

Now, I'm a hip-hop dancer by the style of dance I choose to practice however I tend to pull more towards pop music rather than rap or hip-hop by definition. I also dabble a little in the areas of burlesque and cabaret and I enjoy mixing these all at my leisure. I'm more of a tattooed, edgy rocker with a hint of Abercrombie & Fitch type of girl so the idea of rap or hip-hop pumping from my car stereo might seem to be a bit of a stretch unless it's "trendy" at the moment. However, being the prodigy of music that I claim myself to be I refuse to limit myself to one stereotype simply by my appearance.

I've recently been listening to the "Step Up 3D" Soundtrack and I am thoroughly enamored by this album. The music moves my body with no inhibitions. I find myself sitting at my desk, working away and moving around with not a care in the world. When those beats hit my eardrums it's as if nothing in the world matters anymore - as Britney would say "...the dance floor is my stage" although in this case it's simply my little shared cubicle with a ringing phone and humming computer.

The thing that titilates me the most about soundtracks is the variety that you find among the artists. There is always a strong sense of unity but you find things you would rarely hear on the radio and they generally tend to be some of the best songs possibly ever created.

I originally bought the album because one, I loved the movie and two, I couldn't get enough of "Club Can't Handle Me" by Flo Rida' and the radio just simply wasn't doing it justice. Whenever it would come on I would blast my radio to the very limits and I would dance around eargerly and violently from the constriction of my seatbelt. I'm sure passersby thought I was possibly having a seziure at least once or twice due to the sheer insanity of my excitement.


The one song right now in particular that has stuck itself in my head and simply won't let me rest is "Move (If You Wanna)" by MIMS. Incredible - simply incredible. When it starts the choreography plays itself out in my mind like a movie. The bass hits and my rib cage pulses with abandon and I'm being pulled in all directions by the bass. The words and the difficult yet simplistic beats put me in a comfort zone - body totally loose and hard hitting at the same time. I stay low in my movements (thank you Mo) and keep my feet heavy with every step while the rest of my body is light until the end of the beat when every hit is as sharp as a knife. My walk is "gangsta" - a bit of a swagger if you will. I feel sexy yet raw at the same time. My face isn't teasing as if it were burlesque - more "don't mess with me or I'll knock you out" with a hint of play ...

I can't wait to start putting down my feelings on the rest of this album!!

No comments:

Post a Comment